Is my property eligible for an Open Air Fire Permit or Outdoor Fireplace and Campfire
BY-LAW NO. 2004-163
Schedule D (By-law No. 2010-261)
What is the cost of a permit?
- $14 (tax included) for an Annual Permit
- $14 (tax included) for an Annual Agricultural Permit that may include up to four (4) properties
- $52 (tax excluded) for a Specific Event Permit
Further details are as follows:
- A permit is required in order to light a fire on private property; this includes having a backyard fire or using a large fire pit.
- A permit is not necessary for outdoor natural gas, propane or ethanol fireplaces.
- If a device is designed and intended solely for the cooking of food in the open air, it does not require an open air fire permit, provided it does not burn wood, tree limbs, branches and non-compostable material limited to paper and sisal twine. Approved cooking appliances include gas, charcoal or propane BBQ/hibachis or gas or propane outdoor fireplace [must be ULC approved].
Where can I obtain an Open Air Fire Permit?
Open Air Fire Permits can be obtained at any City of Ottawa Client Service Centre.
Need to renew your permit?
You can renew your permit at all the locations noted below (as per their hours of operations). Renewals can also be done by mail (as per the mail-out existing clients receive from Ottawa Fire Services).